Sydney flights from UK
Here’s our quick guide to flying to Sydney from the UK (usually departing Heathrow). We always fly via Asia and try and keep it to one stop. Below is a guide to the airlines that offer flights from London to Sydney and their respective stops. The links will take you to the airline site direct but you can sometimes find cheaper deals from netflights and opodo.
- Air New Zealand – London to Auckland via Los Angeles or Hong Kong and then onto Sydney later. A good option if you are interested in visiting New Zealand as well as Australia.
- British Airways – Heathrow to Sydney with a stop in Hong Kong.
- Cathay Pacific – Also Heathrow to Sydney via Hong Kong.
- Emirates – Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow to Sydney via Dubai. Generous baggage allowance make Emirates a good option for long flights.
- Etihad Airways – Connect in Abu Dhabi having departed from Manchester or Heathrow.
- Singapore – Heathrow to Sydney via Singapore. An all round great airline.
- Qantas – Heathrow to Sydney stopping in Hong Kong or Singapore. Some Qantas flights to Sydney are operated on the Airbus A380. Check the website for details. Regional UK flights available to add on.
- Qatar Airways – Not a great option at the time of writing since you would be flying London – Doha – Bangkok – Sydney. Qatar are growing all the time though so perhaps worth a look.
More about Sydney
Sydney with it’s iconic Opera House and Harbour Bridge is thought of by many as the Capital of Australia. In fact it’s only the capital of New South Wales but is also the biggest business and commerce centre in Australia and has a diverse population and many popular beach suburbs including Bondi Beach, Tamarama, Coogee Beach, Palm Beach and Manly.
Every year there is a news story about some poor unfortunate internet booker that booked themselves cheap flights to Sydney and packed their surf board only to find themselves landing in Sydney, Nova Scotia in Canada – cold in winter! Just to be sure – the airport code for Sydney Australia is SYD, the airport code for Sydney, Canada is YQY.